The importance of rescue & how the Latchways Personal Rescue Device can help.
The Importance of Rescue
According to statistics on the HSE website (www.HSE.gov.uk), there were 35 worker fatalities caused by falls from height across all industries, as reported to RIDDOR during 2020-2021.
Section 4 of the Work at Height Regulations 2005 states the following:
(1) Every employer shall ensure that work at height is —
(a) properly planned;
(b) appropriately supervised; and
(c) carried out in a manner which is so far as is reasonably practicable safe, and that its planning includes the selection of work.
(2) Reference in paragraph (1) to planning of work includes planning for emergencies and rescue.
The purpose of rescue is to either raise or lower a casualty, ensuring that they receive the necessary medical attention, in the shortest time possible.
It is not acceptable to use the emergency services as part of your rescue plan and this is where self-rescue becomes increasingly important.
Latchways Personal Rescue Device (PRD)
The Latchways PRD is a full-body harness (part of everyday standard work wear) with a built-in self-rescue device. Should you fall from height, the PRD allows you to activate your own rescue with the simple pull of parachute style release cord.
- Total self-rescue in less than 30 seconds
- Integral part of your harness
- “Real” rescue plan
- Low cost of ownership
- Minimal training required
- Minimal maintenance
- Descent height: 20 m (65ft)
- Descent speed: 1 m per second
- Total user weight: 59 kg min – 140 kg max (130 lbs – 310 lbs)
- Secondary release mechanism: Should the user not be able to rescue themselves, the device can be activated by a third party.
Industry Leading Engineering
The whole rescue process has been revolutionised by the Latchways engineering in the ‘backpack’ which contains:
- A parachute type ‘rip cord’ that releases the descending system.
- A brake mechanism and spool with a 20m/65ft cord that gently lowers the faller to the ground.
- A standard harness that can be easily released allowing quick evacuation from the fall zone.